Tuesday, March 8, 2011

DADA, NONSENSE, HOMER, PROPAGANDA


Hugo Ball Reciting the Dadaist Poem Karawane. 1916 in Germany. The basis of Dadaism is nonsense. It was a reaction to the wars going on at the time and how this generation felt about the turbulance in the world. I can understand that.



Winslow Homer The Gulf Stream 1899. American artist and self taught. I like this work because it feels so turbulent and alone. The guy has no options other than to sit and wait out the storm.


Finally I wanted to end with Thomas Hart Benton works. I really like his stuff. His use of organic lines and shapes and distorted angles is really appealing to me. I also like his subject matter. All of the American epochs that forged the country we live in. 



My favorite piece by Thomas Hart Benton is his work WWII painted in 1942 in reaction to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He wanted to wake up middle America about what our country was facing so he did a series of these propaganda type paintings to inspire our country. 
I love propaganda.


Print and destroy.
Enjoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment