Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Surrealism and Edward Hopper

So I'm not a huge fan of some of the traditional surrealist artists so I focused more on the International abstraction between the wars. I really like Edward Hoppers paintings.


Edward Hopper Sunday painted 1926 now hangs in Washington D.C. in the Phillips Collection. I chose it because of the color use and the almost impressionistic style. I really like old people too and just the mood this painting presents.


Edward Hopper Gas 1940 hangs in The Museum of Modern Art in New York. This piece is something I can understand and speaks to me especially right now. Gas prices are ridiculous right now. This painting is talked about as being a representation of when society lost its innocence and began to destroy nature and depend on machines.


Hawaii is getting ridiculous.


Just look at it!


Edward Hopper Nighthawks 1942 New York. The piece is pretty iconic and is the target of several satire art pieces, but I don't like it for its intended message or its popularity as a pop icon. I simply like it because it reminds me of that time at night when things are slow and while everyone else is asleep you may just be sitting down to do some of your best thinking. Simply put that is what I feel when I look at this painting.


Now this isn't a piece or an artist that we have studied at all in our class, this is just a cool example of surrealism. I think you have to be slightly off your rocker to make or think up good surrealism. I started looking through surrealist art and it reminded me of a psychology class I had where we talked about a man named Louis Wain. Poor guy, great style. He only painted cats, whats worse is that he developed schizophrenia and kept painting cats. The images at the start of his career were normal looking enough, but late into his life his work truly was affected by his illness. Heres to you Louis.






I could wear this stuff.



Enjoi.

No comments:

Post a Comment