Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Post-Minimal/Post Modern Seventies

I really loved this minimalist stuff! Frank Stella, Jules Olitski, and Morris Louis are do it big. I can relate much more to their style and visual message than I can with some of the other pieces that we have studied.


Jules Olitski, Draky. 1966. American. Just look at it! I am sure anyone could come and say that anyone can do this piece. I then respond "No... YOU CAN'T." The piece looks so simple, but it is really well balanced and thought out. I think thats what I love about it. I also love the blended colors and the calm effect it give you.

Favorite by far would be Frank Stella's black paintings. This one is untitled but it was painted in 1964. American. I love the movement the lines create. I love everything about this piece and the other ones he did in the black series. No words literally no words. LOOK AT IT!!!


Finally Morris Louis, Claustral. 1961. American. I like this one because it is so simple. I love simplicity. I love the running lines that just ooze off the painting. Morris Louis doing his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment